Earth Day 2013 at Art Works
Even though we will be having a wedding reception in our Jane Sandelin Gallery at Art Works on Earth Day, April 20th, that doesn’t deter us in the least from planning some wonderful activities. Here are just a few:
Recycled cup give away: We’re asking people who have a handmade or recycled cup to donate as many as possible to be given out on Earth Day to anyone with a plastic bottle or throw away cup.
Children’s Activity – Clay Mural for Art Works Building
We are making plans for a 64 tile mural to commemorate Earth Day 2013 at Art Works. Children will paint the clay tiles which will be mounted and hung on the outside of Art Works building. Previous years clay projects will be displayed at the festival.
There will be a special performance in the Skylight Gallery. Stay tuned for more info.
12-2:30 PM Talk Business will perform and 3-5:00 PM the VCU Music Collective will play in the All Media Gallery at Art Works.
Recycled Art Show
Once again we will be sponsoring the Recycled Art Show. Festival-goers will have an opportunity to vote on their favorite artwork and children can participate in a cultural “Scavenger” hunt by uncovering clues on materials and art forms. This year the artwork will be displayed in various locations in Art Works (in the All Media Gallery, in hall ways and class rooms).
Anyone attending the festival can vote on their favorite pieces by donating $1 per vote. The Children’s Scavenger Hunt is free. Prizes will be awarded to any child completing the hunt.
Submitting Entries for Recycled Art Show:
All entries are made from mixed media and found objects. Entries may be for decorative purposes, out door art or functional artwork made from items creatively redefined from the original usage to new usages. 1st and 2nd place winners will not only receive the donations but also a gift bundle donated from the Festival sponsors.
· There is a $10 entry fee for each entry.
· There is a limit of 3 entries per artist.
· Call for Entries dates are the first and second weekends in April (Saturday April 6, Sunday April 7, Saturday April 13, Sunday April 14).
· Artist may drop off their work at Art Works on these dates from 12-6 pm.
· Awards will be presented on Earth Day, April 20th at 5 p.m. at Art Works.
Drawings and Door Prizes
Festival-goers can register for door prizes and learn about the various programs at Art Works. Register to win:
· A Fun Day Activity for your office or organization for 10 people at Art Works. This off-site event will help with team building and provide a fun, creative event.
· A free children’s class to Art Works’ CAN program (Children’s Art in the Neighborhood). Two Saturday’s in a month of your choice.
· A free Bridal or Baby Shower in Art Works’ Centre Gallery
· A free Membership and 1 free Call for Entry to Art Works All Media Show.
Photo: Allen Moore